Sunday, August 21, 2011

... extreme couponing


Image credit

One of my new favorite shows is Extreme Couponing. What amazes me is how much these people spend and how much they save at the same time. If you watch this show, most of the people have huge stock piles that look almost like mini supermarkets. They might as well be!

My husband and I love watching this show, and often times afterwards we discuss the techniques they use in order to save money. I told him that I wanted to try doing this, but on a not so extreme level. If we were to have a stock pile, that stock pile would be mostly of non-food items or at least everything + non-perishable items.

So this weekend was the weekend of hobbies for me. By saying that, I meant buying all these different items to start my new hobbies that don't involve watching tv or going on the computer. God knows I'm on the computer so much, and I'm trying to steer more of my time away from it. Another reason to steer away from it is because I'm constantly on the net on my smart phone. (That's another habit I should kick.)

So as I go off onto a nice long tangent, I bought my couponing supplies which pretty much only consisted of an organizer very much similar to this one. Later yesterday evening, I visited a friend and her husband for dinner. My friend has gotten into couponing earlier than I have. And, she was sweet enough to give me 3 of the same circular so I can start my coupon collection.

This evening, I devoted 3 hours of my time to cutting, organizing by month, putting paper clips on like coupons, putting them into various envelopes by category, and then putting them all into their month's pocket. I never thought it would take this long, but I think it was time well spent. And, even though I did have The Proposal on in the background, I was dedicated to clipping through these circulars + going through the Sunday circulars for more. It was tiring, but rewarding. Hopefully, I'll be able to put these to good use in the near future.

And, for those of you that are into couponing, I also received a great website reference from a friend's sister. Check out Living Rich with Coupons. It's a great website, and you should check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment