Sunday, August 28, 2011

... and we are clear

We survived our first hurricane in our first home.  I'll admit as the night went on, the more paranoid I got.  We watched The Last Air Bender, and then when the credits ran all I heard was a waterfall outside of our window.  Then an eerie silence, then came this howling wind.

Then I went into panic mode.  Thinking we would sleep upstairs in our hallway (the only area in our house not near a window or windows), I started clearing out the space.  But then I read that we should stay on the lower level of our house.  So I asked my husband to blow up the aerobed, and we were making a make shift bedroom in our living room.

Needless to say, we did survive the night.  Although sleeping next to the big window in our living room, all I heard was the howling wind and constant rain batting against it. 

We both fell asleep past midnight.  Then I woke up around 330ish close to 4am to use the bathroom.  After I woke up, I couldn't fall asleep and quickly became hungry.  I made myself a pb&j sandwich, had a small Danimals yogurt smoothie, Cheetos, and water.  That didn't put me to sleep.  What helped me become sleepy was texting two girlfriends and playing a game on my phone.  Finally fell asleep close to 430ish.  It also helped to keep the kitchen light on.  I felt more secure knowing we had power.

I woke up at 8am, and saw that we were in the clear.  I looked outside and saw all of the branches on the street, and a little bit of flooding in the front of our house.  Nothing too damaging.  I quickly turned on the tv to see if we had power.  And, we did, so we were in the clear.

Little did I know that we still were not in the clear.  The storm would fully be out of the NJ/NY area by 2pm.  It's 7:21pm now, and it's still windy out. 

Although I may have panicked a little, it was better to be safe than sorry.  I pray for those that were affected by this storm - property damage or loss, flooding, lost power, and those that have passed away - up and down the East coast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment